Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Coffee anyone?

One of the first things I was introduced to here at Majak was their coffee shop. It's really neat ministry. It is open every day, except Sunday, from 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. They serve coffee, tea, hot chocolate, candy, chips, sodas and lots more. It is all non-profit so people are often surprised at how cheap everything is. They have a DVD player with a projector, a CD player, games, and a nice lounge area. They also have an adjacent game room with ping pong, foosball, and darts. It is a great place to hangout, relax and have some coffee. It seems pretty popular too. Since I have been here we have averaged about ten or twelve teens in the evening. There have been up to about eighteen at one time. This is during the middle of winter with some pretty snowy days so there will be even more when it gets warmer and people get out more. So it is a great place for me to meet Czech teens and to hopefully build some meaningful relationships.

I worked the coffee shop last Thursday and then again on Saturday. I am already beginning to build some significant relationships. I met Peter the first night I was here, but really started to get to know him Thursday and Saturday. He has been coming to Majak for five years pretty regularly. He became a Christian just this past summer! He speaks English, which is a plus for me. He really seems hungry to learn and to grow, and he is a just great guy. I hope that I can really invest in his life while I am here. I also met his friend Martin on Thursday. He is a fairly new Christian too. We hit it off really well, and I hope that our friendship continues to develop. I really am excited about being a part of these guys lives over the next months. I have met others too, but these are the ones that really stuck out and I think will be good relationships to invest in. I am so excited about the relationships that I am building and am looking forward to meeting even more people.

1 Comments:

At 1:23 AM, Blogger Roger McKenzie said...

Hi Mark,
Sounds like things you are beginning to build some good relationships through the coffee shop. It seems like a great approach to ministry for that context. Hope you are settling in and feeling somewhat at home. Keep up the good work.
Blessings,
Doc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home