Monday, February 27, 2006

Learning to speak Czech!

Ahoj, Jak se maš? (the j ispronouncedd "y" the š "sh") And it means "Hi, How are you?" This is one of the many Czech phrases I have been studying. So far I have found it to be fun and exciting but also quite challenging. I try to spend time each day studying Czech, but I really don't have as much time as I would like. I hit the books hard on the weekend though. I have a lesson at 9:45 on Friday. I spend most of my afternoon studying what we went over in my lesson. Since I can only meet with my tutor Zora once a week she gives me tons of homework. (I would like to meet more often, but she is busy and has a baby) She says that I am doing really well, even though sometimes I don't feel like I am. The picture here is when I spent all day Saturday, well from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, studying Czech. Believe it or not I had a blast, and the only reason I stopped at four was because we had a missionary team activity and dinner. I really count it a blessing and a gift from God that I enjoy learning Czech so much. Everybody says my pronunciation is great! I think it comes from growing up in Africa and learning to pick up their accent. I believe God has given me a gift to learn language, or at least the gift of wanting to learn and enjoying the process. When I realized how much I was enjoying studying Czech it helped reaffirm my call into missions. I truly believe that God has blessed me with a desire to learn and speak the language of the people and that is not by accident!

3 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, Mark, it is not by accident that God has given you the desire to learn languages. You make me smile. Mom

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exciting to see how every past exerience prepares us for God's present will....and so it will be in your life -- for the rest of your life. Keep on keepin' on. We are proud of you and praying for you!

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Jennie Darden said...

Mark, I'm glad to hear that things are going well in Czech. I know that you will learn the language really soon. I'll keep praying for you, while you are there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home