Sunday, April 23, 2006

Do I have the Faith?

I don't know where to begin with this one. God really spoke to me and challenged me tonight. You may think that I am crazy, but you know what, that's ok. I am going to tell what happened anyway. After church this evening, I was left alone at Majak wondering what I should do. I decided I ought to take a walk. I started walking and I headed for this little prayer chapel in the woods behind Majak. I got down there and started to pray. I began to walk around in the courtyard of the chapel as I prayed. At the edge of the courtyard there is a little wall about two feet high and two feet wide with about a seven foot drop on the other side. I began to pace back and forth on the ledge as I prayed. All of a sudden I wondered, "If Jesus were on the other side of this little ravine and asked me to walk to him would I have the faith to step off the ledge." Then I remembered a few days ago when I was eating my lunch on the Parnas fountain downtown. While I ate my lunch and watched the crowds of people going about their business in the square, I was suddenly struck by the thought that statistically there might be one other Christian in the whole square. I felt this sudden burden for the people and I thought if only I could speak Czech I would stand up right now and share the Word of life with them. Then I thought of Pentecost and I felt like God was challenging me to stand up and speak to the people regardless. I believe it was a test of my faith more than anything else, and sadly I failed. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Now I stood on the edge of this ledge with my faith tested once again. Not that God really wanted me to step out into the air. I think He was merely opening my eyes to how weak my faith really is. With my head down and full of shame I stepped away from the ledge and began to walk back. I knew in that moment if I had been in the boat when Jesus walked on water I would have been one of the eleven that stayed in the boat and not Peter. I knew I didn't have the faith, and it hurt. It wasn't about the ledge it was about God's power to really change peoples lives and to change my life. I believe God has the power to miraculously change lives and I believe he can give me a spirit filled sanctified life, but somehow I don't have the faith that he can and will. It is hard to explain. I guess I know God can do it, but when it comes down to it I just don't have the faith, I don't really believe. I was completely shocked and hurt and my own weakness and unbelief. I fell on my face before God and asked him to help my unbelief. I cried out, admitting that I lacked faith, but that I truly desired it. In the moment of testing I had failed, but at least I was honest with myself and with God. I really wonder what God could do if we truly believed. In Ephesians Paul says, "I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms." Wow, the power of God which raised Christ from the dead is available for us who believe. That is incredible power, why don't we see it at work more often then. Well it is pretty simple actually. I believe it is because, when it all comes down to it, we don't really have faith in that power, or at least that that power is still available. I know I may be starting to sound like a crazed charismatic, but maybe that's that problem. We want the calm, comfortable, easy Christian life. Maybe we're afraid of what would happen if we really believed and truly stepped out in complete faith. Maybe we are all too comfortable with where we are now. I know I am all too often. Yeah, I may be off on missions trip to Czech for six months, but that doesn't mean I am really stepping out in faith. I can get comfortable and lazy here just as much as I do at SWU. I am tired of living the comfortable Christian life though and I am ready to step out in faith and watch God do miraculous things. Are you?

3 Comments:

At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,

I can relate as well as a multitude of Christians around the world. As you well know Mark 16:15-18
"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."
NKJV

If we all truly believed this then why is the harvest still so truly plentiful, and so many sick and in bondage. To many of us are standing there in the boat with you. May God help us all to be better hearers and doers as He speaks to us. I myself, in getting ready for this trip too Africa have been truly seeking God and His voice and simple obediance. An example of this is when I am driving down the road and I fell as if God says turn off the radio, or to turn it on. When I am truley in tune with God it seems like when I turn the radio back on that the words of the song are speaking directly to me.

Another scripture is Heb 11:5-6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
NKJV
My pastor used to tell us that the two biggest problems in Christianity today is that we don't really believe that God is, and that He is a rewarder of those that dilligently seek Him.

I have heard that there are three types of people in the world. Those who make things happen, those who watch what just happened and those who wonder what just happened. If only we all would repent of our lack of faith and rise up in the power of the Holy Spirit and be world changers; making things happen as we obey God and the specific calling that He has on each of our lives. Yes, Mark I am also ready and excited to see what God wants to do in and through me. Not just in Africa this summer but everyday of my life.

 
At 2:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,
I posted yesterday but for what ever reason its not registering on your comments counter.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, Thank you for the challenge to live an active life of FAITH. Oh, we would be so amazed if we truly would live like we believe God really could do thus and such. I'm ready for God to move in me.
Love you, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home